Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Oh, how she amazes me!

I think until you have children, that there are so many things that we just take for granted. Yesterday, I watched as my daughter reached for a rattle, grabbed it and shook. This might not seem like much, but for weeks I've been prying her little hand open, placing that same rattle in and closing her fingers only for her to open her hand and drop it. All on her own lasst night, she did it, exactly when she was ready to. It seems such a small thing, but tears came to my eyes, I was watching my daughter learn and explore her world!
So much else about her amazes me, daily. Yesterday, she smiled upon seeing me for the first time. Mind you, she smiles all the time in reaction to other smiles, but this one was because she saw and recognized me. My heart nearly exploded, and even though she had woken me up several times the night before and I was a cranky mess, that beautiful little smile changed the course of my day completely!
The "words" she forms are like music to my ears (even though I'm completely tone deaf!). She finds all new sounds to make and even teaches me how to make certain sounds. She was making a new clicking/snapping noise and it took me a day to figure out how she was doing it!
All of these actions may seem small to us adults who function on a "higher" level all the time. However, the relative intensity of how much she is developing and learning all the time is by far greater than anything we do. How often do we challenge ourselves to learn something completely new? It would be like me deciding to learn how to change the oil in my car today and tomorrow, I think I will learn how to sail a boat. Dear Daughter, you are truly an inspiration to me!

No comments: