Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spinach Ricotta Pinwheels

Why is green food so repellent to small people?  Lately, the only green I can get T to eat is peas.  I would like to increase the variety in her diet (as well as ours).  Since spinach is such a super food, I thought I would try to make it more toddler friendly.

I've posted about the Green Monster smoothies before.  I had every intention of making these at least a few times a week.  But, the morning sickness monster came to visit and didn't leave for 39.5 weeks and the mere thought of a smoothie resulted in a very sick me.  I haven't been able to have one since!

So, I came up with these spinach and ricotta pinwheels.  I'm sure I'm not the first to put these four ingredients together, but I'm oh-so-glad I did.  Both B and T liked them!  I got her to eat spinach!

OK, here's what you need:

Frozen block of chopped spinach
Ricotta cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Pillsbury French bread dough

I wasn't too sure how these were going to turn out, so I didn't take any pictures along the way.  I've made some pretty pictures in paint to illustrate the steps for you to enjoy!

Cook frozen spinach according to package instructions, adding any spices or flavoring you like.

Pop the dough out of the container and unroll it.  (Did you know you could unroll French bread dough?  I had no idea!)

Spread ricotta out in a thin layer, leaving 1-2 inches of dough exposed.

Sprinkle spinach over the ricotta.

Sprinkle 1 cup of mozzarella over spinach.

Roll it up towards the exposed inch of dough. 

Cut slices about an inch wide.  Should make 10-12 slices.  Place each slice on a baking sheet and cook for 15-ish minutes until dough is slightly browned.


1 comment: