Monday, May 28, 2012

It's coming back around

My mom just left after a wonderful weekend visit to meet K and catch up with T.  In an effort to gain parental insight, these visits usually include a round of "Did I do this when...?".  I've come to the realization that things certainly "come back to haunt you".  As such, T may not be just my clone in appearance but in action/attitude too.  *sigh*

For example, I've been known to be a bit, um, stubborn.  "No way", I'm sure is your response.  This stubborness manifests itself in many ways, most obvious is the need to be independent and do everything myself.  My lovely daughter appears to have this same trait.  While all kids go through the "I do it" phase and is an important milestone, T appears to be taking this to an extreme.  My mother's chuckle this weekend confirms this.  While not a bad trait, per se, I hope I can cultivate a little humility in her, and let her know that it is indeed okay to ask for help once in a while.  An example?  Instead of letting me, at the very least, guide her feet into her shorts, she was so determined to get them on, even though both legs were through the same side, that she ended up with a very little miniskirt and a floppy "pocket" with a giant hole in the bottom.

Otherways my daughter is mirroring me? 
She's the queen of stalling at bedtime.  A 10 minute bedtime routine can take an hour with her.
If looks could kill, I'd be long gone by now.  But then, so would my mom.
And, oh, the frustration when things don't go her way...

I find myself apologizing to B often.  "Sorry honey, she definitely gets that from me, and I have no idea what to do about it".  Those teen years are going to be F-U-N!



p.s. You can follow me on twitter now! @melissawhayes

No comments: