Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Zucchini Bites

Wow!  Yesterday's post about my spinach ricotta pinwheels got a ton of views!  Seems like I'm not the only one searching to ways to get my toddler to eat veggies, so...

Here's another winner!  I got this recipe from the April/May 2012 issue of Kiwi magazine, submitted by the blog author, Kelsey Banfield. Since I can't seem to just follow a recipe exactly, I'll write in italics what I modified:



Summer Zucchini Bites

butter to grease pans
2 large eggs
2 cups grated zucchini from one medium-to-large zucchini (I didn't measure, rarely do, I just used two medium zucchinis)
1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped (I used a whole small onion)
1/2 cup coarsely grated cheddar cheese (Like I have time to grate my own cheese?  Sheesh.  I used a cup of packaged shredded sharp cheddar.)
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley (Sadly, I didn't have fresh parsley on hand.  I really need to get that herb garden going.  I also ran out of dried parsley the other day.  Oh well.)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
pinch freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400F.  Coat mini-muffin tins with butter. I only have regular sized muffin tins, so instead of 24 minis, I made 12 regulars and increased the cooking time.  Next time, I might use cupcake liners though as they were difficult to remove.

Lightly beat the eggs.  Add the remaining ingredients and fold together, making a loose, sticky batter. 

Spoon into each cup, and bake for 15-18 minutes. I increased this cooking time to 20 minutes for regular sized muffin tins.  Tops should be browned and set, ans should no longer jiggle when shaken. 

Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Remove from the pan and let cool on a wire rack.

These were great reheated too, just pop in the toaster oven for a minute or two. 




So, while I can't get T to bite into a slice of steamed zucchini (my favorite!), she tore into these!  You know these pass the toddler test when she asks for more!

p.s. I took a hint from the original blogger and made these while K was napping and then just reheated them for dinner. Perfect!

1 comment:

Jen @ Rolling Through Looneyville said...

So, I made a batch of these today and aside from the ones my kids ate, I ate them ALL.

Thank God they're healthy-ish :)

I thought your recipe was the same I pinned and used that one, so it was slightly different. Still good!

I'm totally trying your roll ups on saturday.