So, I know this isn't a recipe/food blog, but I had to share this recipe because it was so good and it was completely vegetarian! Even so, it was hearty enough that my non-veggie hubs loved it and had seconds (OK, I did too!)
This recipe was originally from the Disney Family Fun page, but I've made some modifications. I'll star the changes I've made:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil*
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped*
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock*
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 2 large all-purpose potato, peeled and diced*
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced*
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Black pepper, to taste
In general, I doubled the potatoes and celery, added a sweet potato for color, and substituted veggie stock for chicken stock. I'm always adding more veggies to recipes! :) I'm sure you meaties out there would love to add bacon to this recipe, but it definitely doesn't need it!
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or medium soup pot.
- Stir in the onion and celery.
- Partially cover the pan and cook the vegetables over moderate heat for 9 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the veggie stock, corn, potato, and salt and bring the mixture to a low boil.
- Lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes are just tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cream and flour.
- Stir the mixture into the soup with the pepper.
- Bring the soup back to a low boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 8 minutes.
Altogether, this took me about 40 minute to prepare. Super easy, very satisfying, and definitely delicious! Garnish with chopped dill or parsely, I totally forgot to do this! Serve with rolls or bread and you have yourself a meal!
Of course, this recipe was found via Pinterest, my new best friend in the kitchen!