Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ice Cream Lasagne

Nothing says summer like ice cream.  Um, who am I kidding, I eat ice cream every day of the year!  However, there is one ice cream treat that I only make during the summer and that's ice cream lasagne!  Just look at those delicate chocolate cake layers, the smooth ice cream, the decadent fudge and caramel, all topped with crunchy peanuts...  Mmmmm, yum!

 Looks good, right?  And like a lot of work, huh?  Well, my friend, prepare to wow your guests with ease.  I tend to give away my secret, but feel free to bask in the culinary glory that this presents itself as and keep your secret to yourself!

Here are your ingredients: Ice cream sandwiches, cool whip, salted peanuts, caramel and fudge syrup.  I find its easiest to use a disposable aluminum pan.  Regardless, estimate how many sandwiches you'll need to make two complete layers.  I needed 12 sandwiches, so one boxe.
 This is the hardest part, unwrapping each ice cream sandwich before it melts!  Place them down so they make one even layer at the bottom.
 Spread half the tub of cool whip on top of the sandwiches.
 Looks pretty huh?
 Now, go crazy with some fudge syrup, and...
 with some caramel syrup.
 Sprinkle peanuts on top.  I find the salted cocktail peanuts are best.  Made the mistake of using unsalted peanuts once, and only once.
 Repeat!
Freeze for at least two hours before serving.  And voila!  Look at that thing of beauty!  Now, do try to serve these in smallish pieces.  You'll think you can eat a lot more than you can!
Enjoy your ice cream lasagne and the many, many accolades! And, do yourself a favor, make two, one to bring/serve, and one to keep for yourself.

Many thanks for B's Aunt Cathy who taught me this recipe many years ago.  It has served me well!

No comments: