Wednesday, March 14, 2012

$3 maternity skirt

I haven't done a Pinterest Project review in a while, so I figured I'd do one that would meet an immediate need.  It's the first half of March and it's over 80 degrees here!  I need something other than maternity jeans and sweaters to wear.  HELP!

I remembered this project that I had pinned a while back, originally from Simple Simon and Company ...




While walking through Joann Fabrics the other day, I spotted a rack of maternity T-shirts for $2.97 each!  I grabbed an XL in purple just for this project.

First, I turned the shirt inside out, made sure it was laying flat and cut across, right under the sleeves using my rotary cutter.

Being that the sides and bottom are already done for you, all you now need to do is create the casing for the elastic waistband, every pregnant woman's best friend!  I turned over the raw top edge 1/2 inch and sewed, using a zig zag stitch.  Soon, very soon, I will get my serger set up and running, I promise!


Once that was done, I turned that edge over one more time, about an inch and again sewed with a zig zag stitch.  I made sure to leave an opening to insert my elastic.  To determine the length of elastic, I measured my current waist size (the Horror!) and subtracted two inches.  After threading the elastic through, I sewed the two elastic ends together, overlapping them by an inch.  Make sure you try it on at this point before closing up the casing!


So, now I have a very plain,t-shirt skirt.  Took about 15 minutes to this point.  I figured with the left over material, I could make some cute flowers!  I cute 5 ~2 inch circles, and 10 ~1.25 inch circles.  I made a petal shape out of each by folding them onto themselves along one side and pinned them to my skirt.  Placing the pinned petals under my presser foot without clamping it down, I freely sewed in a circular motion several times over all the petals.


Cute right?


Please don't mind the basket of laundry behind me.  It's clean, I promise!  I just need a little more energy at the end of the day!



By the way, I went over to Simple Simon and Company today and was amazed at how many awesome projects I found!  What an inspiration!  You should definitely check it out!

No comments: