Thursday, March 8, 2012

Master Bath Update

Master Bath update:

So how did you like the guest bathroom update?  It's pretty awesome, right?

 Before

 After

For two weeks, I got to enjoy the new shower, the lovely water pressure, and the thrill of new things!  I was also kicked out of my master bath for a week, so I had no choice! Anyways, the master bath is done too, except for... you guessed it, wall paper scraping and painting!  We did get the walls behind the fixtures painted so we could at least appreciate how it would look when it was done.  Love it!

Original Plan - same as guest bath, replace floor with tile, new vanity, new mirror, new cabinet, new lighting, new tub and shower surround.
Changes to Plan - since we went with tile in the guest bath, it seemed silly to do a plastic shower surround in the master bath.  While at a large home improvement store where they wear orange aprons, a gentleman sold me on a custom order surround that was made from the same material as Corrian counter tops.  Thinking that it would be a great compromise in price and an improvement to plastic, we ordered it.  When it arrived two weeks later, we found out that it was just textured plastic.  Grr.  Of course, we didn't know this until the night before it was supposed to go up!  So, off to the store I went, after T went to bed, to pick out tile for the master shower.  I hate last minute design changes and decisions, but I absolutely love how it came out!








We went with white furniture in the master bath.  I wanted a really clean look for this bathroom and I'm really please with how it came out.  The shower tile has green tones in it which go perfectly with my, of course, green shower curtain!  I purchased the shower curtain material from the same sale at Jo-Ann's as the guest bath, but this one needed a lot more fabric, since the tub in here was a standard length.  I'll be posting a tutorial on how I made it soon (if you're a Ticklebugz facebook page fan, you got the sneak preview!).  Those button hole lessons learned came in handy!


 
Lessons Learned:
- Don't fear last minute design changes, they may be the perfect upgrade to the entire renovation.
- Invest in the master bath.  It should be equal to or better than the guest bath.  While it cost a bit more than we planned, it will pay off in the end.
- Don't argue with the hubs when he wants to try to save some $ and use the leftover grout from the guest bath  instead of the special one you picked out.  He was right.  I was wrong. :)

If you're in the market for some home improvements to your bath or kitchen, here is my contractors information.  I would recommend him in a heartbeat!  He was awesome!  Send me a message and I'll send you a personal referral.

Rob Smith, owner
Shoreline Custom Carpentry, Inc
Glen Burnie, MD

2 comments:

Becky said...

It looks awesome!!! Great job! Love the wall color and tile. We should get your contractor to go give Mom a quote on her 2 bathrooms down in Annapolis!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Becky! As soon as I get home, I'll send you his number to give to your mom!