Thursday, March 15, 2012

Fast and cute baby hats



I've had a little bit of time off the last couple of days.  Feeling a little overwhelmed with the possibility that BG#2 could arrive any day now, I returned to my packing list for our hospital bag and realized I didn't have any hats for BG#2!  GAH!  What kind of mother am I?  Have I never had a newborn baby before?  How am I forgetting everything!?!?

Once, my panic subsided, I remembered these projects that I had pinned a while back.




They both promise to be quick and easy, so I figured I'd give it a try.  I have a long "to-do" list, but this falls under "make sure hospital bag is fully packed", right?

I also figured I'd repurpose some older sleeping gowns that I'm not likely to use, ever.  T hated them, and I always got nervous trying to get the whole thing over her head.  I have a ton, so I picked a few that I liked the pattern, but were not in the best shape.

First, the tie-top beanie hat:


These actually were pretty easy, but I did make one change.  I like to have the option of folding up the cuff of the hat, so I doubled that length.  The pink one came out a little better, I think because it was a lighter weight knit fabric.  Overall, pretty cute and pretty easy.  Each hat took about 20-25 minutes.

Now, the flower adorned hat:


The hat part of this one was also very easy, took less than 18 minutes (I was cooking my lunch on a timer when I started this one!).  Don't mind the bunching along the top, I didn't bother to iron it flat.  I'm sure it will look cute stretched across my baby's head!  The flower part took longer than the actual hat.  I have an aversion to hand sewing, as called for in the tutorial, so I tried to layer the pieces and machine stitch similar to my $3 maternity skirt.  The bulk of the fabric was too much though and jammed up my machine.  Sigh.  I had to eventually hand stitch the last petal on.

Anyways, three really cute hats in one afternoon.  Phew!  I can check that off my packing list!

No comments: