Friday, February 10, 2012

Nursery Letters DIY

Two years ago, I purchased letters to spell out Miss T's name for her bedroom wall.  I painted them brown and then decorated them with pink, green, and white acrylic paint.  The thing I liked best about this type of project is that its easy to change up the look of the letters.  Since I purchased them from a craft store unfinished, I knew that when the time came to change the look, I wouldn't feel bad since I didn't spend a lot of money on them.

Well, I got the itch to change things up.  And, being as neurotic as I am, since the girls will be sharing a room, I wanted their letters to match.  So, I picked up a bunch of coordinating scrapbook papers and dove right into my first ever project with Mod-Podge.


Miss T's old letters.


I played with the order of the papers for a while until I found an arrangement that I liked. 


Having assigned a pattern to each letter, I traced the letter face down on the back of each page.  That way, when cut out, the front of the page would match perfectly with the front of the letter.  After tracing, I carefully cut out each letter, some being easier than others!


Apply a thin coat of Mod-Podge to the letter...


And then layer the cut out paper over, taking care to smooth out any bubbles as you go.



For each letter, apply a coat of Mod-Podge over the paper and let dry for 15-20 minutes.  I did 3 coats per letter.  In between, to make the time go faster and feel more accomplished, I did a small chore around the house, laundry, took Dru outside, etc.


And voila!  The Mod-Podge dries clear and seals the paper to the letter.  I let them dry for about an hour after the final application and then rehung them on T's wall.  I hope she likes them!  Now, onto BabyGirl#2's name!



1 comment:

The Way I See It said...

I love it! And I love the letters, so pretty!