Wednesday, September 19, 2012

First Day

I may not be normal, but when I was a kid, I looked forward to the first day of school.  I know, total nerd.  I always had at least one new outfit that I couldn't wait to wear and planned it out weeks in advance.  I looked forward to meeting my teacher, and usually a new group of kids since we always seemed to move mid-summer.  I love the excitement and anticipation of the school year with all the promises of new experiences and lessons to be learned.

Turns out, as an adult, I'm still that same little girl.  I've had my outfit for today planned for weeks, as well as the girls.  Yep, we all coordinated, with pillowcase dresses for the girls make by moi.  I've been packing bags for K and making lists all week.  When the carbon monoxide detector started beeping at 11:00 pm last night, it didn't matter because I was wide awake.  The alarm was set for 6:00am, but I was up at 5:15am.

The morning didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked.  I didn't get the group picture of us girls that I was hoping for and we got out the door late.  I think I pulled an eye muscle trying not to cry as I left T and K at daycare (did you know you could even do that??!!).  But, I was determined not to let that dictate the rest of my day.

Hey, at least I'm smiling...
My day was filled with paperwork and running from one office to another.  The academic world is not quite as efficient as the corporate world!  I had blisters on my feet and tired legs by the time I left to go get the girls, but it felt great to be working again.  I've got a lot to learn, a lot of literature to catch up on, and so many people and places to see.  I'm a bit overwhelmed by the atmosphere and the reputation of this institution, but I'm determined to show that I belong here and I'm going to make it a better place by having been here!  And, if nothing else, I get to come home everyday to the best husband and two amazing little girls that I love and cherish!

I got to snuggle this little girl at the end of a very long first day!



No comments: